Due to an abundance of caution around covid-19 for our schools, our students, our adjudicators, and our community, this year's Shuler Awards Program has been reimagined as a fully virtual program. Unfortunately, this means there will not be a S.T.A.R Council for the 2020-2021 Shuler Awards Season. We look forward to resuming the S.T.A.R Council in the 2021-2022 Shuler Awards Season.
What is the Shuler S.T.A.R. Council?
The Shuler S.T.A.R. Council stands for "Students Take A Role". S.T.A.R. Council students are comprised of high school students who are interested in learning more about and participating in technical and behind the scenes production aspects of producing the two-time Emmy Award winning Shuler Awards. Selected S.T.A.R Council students will have an opportunity to meet working television and theatre production professionals, participate in exclusive elements of the live televised Shuler Awards ceremony, and other behind-the-scenes opportunities such as serving in coveted production assistant positions with professionals in the technical theatre field industry during the Shuler Awards week in April. The goal of the Shuler S.T.A.R. Council is to honor technical theatre students by providing a professional and educational theatre and television production experience.
How do I participate in the Shuler S.T.A.R. Council?
Each participating musical director may select one (1) student to participate in the Shuler S.T.A.R. Council. Students may also apply to participate on their own through their director. Director will then fill out a form on our online platform (Acceptd) and submit a letter of recommendation below.
New to the program: Each nominated student will fill out an application for participation (link below). Among the applicants, up to 50 will be invited to participate.
Eligible students must meet the below criteria:
- Registered grade 9-12 student in a participating high school
- Must hold technical theatre position in a participating high school Shuler adjudicated musical
- *Must be available to participate in all of the scheduled meetings and 100% of the rehearsals during Tech Week for the Shuler Awards
- Must demonstrate an interest in technical theater including Lighting, Sound, Costuming, Stage Management, Scenic Design, Carpentry and Production Management (theater & tv)
- Must display leadership, dedication, and a strong work ethic within their high school theater program
- Must behave professionally in concurrence with the Actors Equity Association Actors' Etiquette
*In order to ensure the success of this program and fairness to dedicated student participants, S.T.A.R. Council members MUST meet the availability requirements of at least these two days. There will be NO exceptions to this rule. Please select students who are available and willing to make the commitment of the full production week, especially the show date. Conflicts for the introductory meeting will be handled on a case by case basis.
S.T.A.R Council Participation:
Teachers must submit the following:
- Letter of recommendation detailing the student's work ethic (upload below or email to email@example.com).
Students must submit the following: