The 2020 Awards Show will be held Thursday, April 16, 2020 at the Cobb Energy Centre.
Registration for the 2019 - 2020 Shuler Awards is now closed. To add your name to the wait list, please contact Audine Crosse at 770.916.2805 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Participants will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. All subsequent applicants will be added to a waiting list in order of receipt. Waiting list applicants will be admitted to the official participant list upon the withdrawal of a registered applicant.
This year the only way to submit your application is through the Acceptd platform at:
- In order to save time before registration opens, you may create your user profile before hand at https://getacceptd.com/
- The Director's Application link above will not be live to submit your application information until Friday at 10 AM, you will only have the ability to create your account before that time on Acceptd's website.
- All materials MUST be submitted by the High School Director; any materials submitted to ArtsBridge by students, other teachers or parents will not be accepted. Please note that all submissions become the property of the GHSMTA and will not be returned
- In order to register, you are required to submit specific details pertaining to your production. Please note production dates and times are imperative. Should you be eligible to participate in this year's awards program, your final show dates and times must be solidified by September 3, 2019. Any date or time changes after September 3rd will not be honored.
- Please ensure you have the following information prepared at the time of registration:
- Show Title
- Production Dates/Times
- Licensing Company
- Show Location/Address
- Parent Liaison Contact Information (Name/Phone/Email)
- You do not need to wait until you have all required materials to begin uploading your items to the application. However, you cannot submit the application until you have fully completed all sections. This means that we cannot see your information until you complete the application.
- Please begin by completing the registration. The list of required materials to be submitted using the Acceptd portal will appear. Full details concerning each item to be submitted can be found in your 2020 Participation Packet. Click the green “Apply” button at the bottom of the page to begin.
- If you experience any technical difficulties with uploading or submitting your materials, use the green "Help" button on the left of the screen. You can access Acceptd Customer Support by calling 1- 888-725-2122 or by email at email@example.com.
- For additional questions or concerns regarding materials or guidelines, please do not hesitate to call or email 770-916-2808 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligible schools must adhere to the following:
- All participating schools must pay a nonrefundable program fee of $200.
- High School must be located in the state of Georgia.
- Musical productions must take place between October 4, 2019 and March 15, 2020*.
- Schools must participate in a Director's Orientation phone call on September 3, 2019.
To be adjudicated, a musical production qualifies if it is a full-length musical listed on the current National High School Musical Awards Qualifying Role list**.
*Due to resources, The Shuler Awards will only accept 15 schools for each of the last two weekends, March 6-8 and March 13-15, 2020. The first 15 schools to submit their dates for each of these two weekends, will receive those dates.
The Adjudication Process
Adjudicators evaluate how each participating high school musical meets or exceeds its potential, utilizing its available resources. Each musical is evaluated and scored against itself for consideration, rather than against all other school productions, charging schools to create the best possible work in their unique circumstance and environment. The Shuler Hensley Awards Category Criteria for Excellence provides suggestions and helpful ideas for what Shuler Hensley Awards adjudicators may consider excellent, which would be an eight (8) on the Shuler rating scale.
Each school receives comments on their production within 30 days of the evaluated musical. Schools also receive their scores after the Awards Ceremony in April. Feedback is intended to serve as an educational tool for directors and students, not strictly a review or critique. It is up to the discretion of the director to share these reports with their students, creative staff or administration but often all of those involved in the production will view the adjudicator feedback.
Only High School Students (grades 9-12) registered at a participating high school and Faculty Members employed by the participating high school or middle/elementary school that feeds to the participating high school (full or part-time) are eligible for individual categories.
Only award Eligible high school students are considered for the five acting award categories.
Guest artists, parents, volunteers, K-8 students, homeschool students or anyone other than award eligible students and faculty, do not qualify for individual category awards. However, those who are not award eligible will be evaluated and scored, and considered for the Overall Production category.
The Georgia High School Musical Theatre Awards encourage participating schools to use readily available school resources, faculty and students. The use of a person (e.g. professional / guest artist) other than a full-time, high school faculty member and/or registered student in grades 9-12, will disqualify the school from that category.
In an effort to support as many schools as possible, a single-sex school may partner with another single-sex school in order to fill performance roles (this applies for high school students grades 9-12 only). Those aforementioned performance roles can be eligible for both individual and group award nominations if their scores dictate such action. However, only the school officially signed up for the GHSMTA will be credited for the award and credited if said student is selected to attend the Jimmy Awards in New York City. In order to qualify if this exception, a school must petition the Artsbridge Foundation (contact the Director of Arts Education, Angela Farr Schiller) at least one month before the GHSMTA registration begins for any given year.
Please view the Award Category Eligibility to learn more about eligibility.