What is the Shuler S.T.A.R. Council?
The Shuler S.T.A.R. Council stands for "Students Take A Role" and acts as the student advisory board for the Georgia High School Musical Theater Awards – Shuler Hensley Awards. This group of selected students is invited to participate in exclusive, behind-the-scenes events throughout the season and serve as Production Assistants during Shuler Awards week in April. The goal of the Shuler S.T.A.R. Council is to honor technical theater students and provide a professional and educational theater and television production experience.
How do I participate in the Shuler S.T.A.R. Council?
Each participating musical director may select one (1) student to participate in the Shuler S.T.A.R. Council. Students may also apply to participate on their own.
Eligible students must meet the below criteria:
- Registered grade 9-12 student in a participating high school
- Must hold technical theatre position in a participating high school Shuler adjudicated musical
- *Must be available to participate in 75% of the scheduled meetings and 100% of the rehearsals during Tech Week for the Shuler Awards
- Must demonstrate an interest in technical theater including Lighting, Sound, Costuming, Stage Management, Scenic Design, Carpentry and Production Management (theater & tv)
- Must display leadership, dedication, and a strong work ethic within their high school theater program
- Must behave professionally in concurrence with the Actors Equity Association Actors' Etiquette
*In order to ensure the success of this program and fairness to dedicated student participants, S.T.A.R. Council members MUST meet the availability requirements. There will be NO exceptions to this rule. Please select students who are available and willing to make the commitment.
Registration for the Shuler S.T.A.R. Council will begin in fall 2017.